The market research firm BrandSpark International has conducted the survey for 14 years now. This year, over 20,000 Canadians voted on new CPGs in 50 categories, nearly half of which fall under the health and beauty heading. As part of the survey, the market researcher also gathered information about respondents’ shopping habits.
Consumer reviews are increasingly important, the BrandSpark survey found. Online print and video reviews are, for some shoppers, taking the place of word-of-mouth recommendations.
The survey found that 60% of Canadian’s search for product reviews and 25% contribute reviews. 70% of women and 60% of men are likely to choose a product that is recommended by another consumer.
Awards and certifications can reassure consumers in much in the same way that recommendations do. “Our data informs us that one of the biggest growing consumer trends is peer reviews,” Robert Levy president of BrandSpark International and founder of the BNPAs, say in a media release announcing this year’s award winners, “and 80 per cent of Canadians also trust independent consumer voted awards like the Best New Product Awards. Together these help consumers navigate the new product jungle.”
The BrandSpark data indicates that innovation drives spending. 75% of respondents “like trying new products,” according to BrandSpark. And, 50% said that they look for new or innovative products.
To save money, some Canadian consumers report spending less on salon and beauty treatments. “This frugality may be an opportunity for innovation from…mass beauty brands,” suggests Levy. “In fact, over 50 per cent of shoppers think that personal care and beauty products from mass market brands are just as effective as those from prestige brands.”
"Over the past fourteen years, Canadian shoppers have informed us via the BrandSpark Canadian Shopper Study that the Best New Product Awards has become the most credible and influential CPG awards program," Levy tells the press.
"With thousands of new products launched into the marketplace every year and many new ways to buy products including e-commerce sites, consumers are looking for ways to identify which products are really the best and deserving of their dollars."
The 2017 BNPA in beauty and personal care winners follow. (Some health and beauty categories ranked by BrandSpark are beyond the purview of Cosmetics Design and are not listed here.)
- Body Moisturizer/Lotion: Jergens Moisturizer for Wet Skin
- Conditioner: Pantene Moisture Renewal 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner
- Eye Liner & Eyebrow Pencil: L'Oréal Paris Brow Stylist Define Pencil
- Facial Cleanser: Garnier Skin Active Micellar Water
- Facial Moisturizer with SPF: Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
- Facial Skincare: L'Oréal Paris Pure Clay Mask
- Foundation: L'Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation
- Hair Colour: Schwarzkopf Keratin Colour Intense Cocoa 4.6
- Hairspray: Pantene Airspray Hairspray
- Lip Colour: Burt's Bees Lipstick
- Mascara/Primer: L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Primer
- Men's Antiperspirant: Old Spice Odor Blocker Antiperspirant
- Men's Hair Styling: L'Oréal Paris Men Expert Sculpting Paste
- Men's Razor: Gillette Fusion ProShield Razor
- Shampoo: L'Oréal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo